Friday, November 18, 2011

Mobile Content Engagement and Usage Trends

Originally published on The New Group blog on 6.17.10

I know how much I use my iPhone and how often I check my surf forecast and weather apps, but some recent stats published in the MediaPost Mobile Insider newsletter are worth considering for a moment.

"the iPhone version of GQ magazine is seeing almost the same levels of monthly engagement (65-70 minutes) as the print magazine (80 minutes). Compare those numbers to GQ.com, which gets a measly 10 minutes a month."

If these early trends reported by publishers continue in the direction of heavy mobile engagement, the bigger question really becomes about the role of a "traditional" website meant for viewing via a laptop or desktop monitor. While I don't believe these form factors are going away anytime soon, one interesting question for me is what will mobile innovation look like over the next few years?

There's more stats in the full article if you're curious about this topic: Mobile: What the Web Should Have Been?

No comments: